Students wishing to study in Germany must have a current health insurance coverage.
You will not be allowed to matriculate without it.
Since January 2014, there are new regulations for health insurance coverage that students have to prove for matriculation with the university. Health insurance contracts that students obtained in their home countries for their stay in Germany will be accepted only in exceptional cases!
Thus, we strongly recommend that you:
- obtain only a travel health insurance for the first 4 - 6 weeks of your stay in Germany (please choose a travel health insurance that meets the requirements of the authorities - e.g. Provisit-Visum).
- after your arrival in Germany obtain a statutory health insurance (in German: gesetzliche Krankenversicherung).
The rate students have to pay for statutory health insurance is more or less the same with every state health insurance company (about 100.00 € per month). If you need proof of health insurance for your visa application, please contact us.
Students coming from EU countries who have a European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) only need a photo copy of their card and of the health insurance contract for matriculation.
If you come from one of the Agreement States Bosnia-Herzegovina, Macedonia, Montenegro, Serbia (excluding Kosovo), Turkey, or Tunisia, you will need a valid proof of insurance from the health insurance company in your home country. Please make sure to obtain this document prior to your departure. For more information on the regulations in the Agreement States, please consult the document "Health insurance for international students."
For students who are 30 years or older, there are special regulations.
You can prove that you have got statutory health insurance in your home country or that you have European health insurance coverage submitting:
- A photocopy of your EHIC (front and back side)
- A confirmation from your health insurance company
A confirmation or proof of health insurance should contain the following information:
- Your full name
- Your date of birth
- Your Identification number
- Period of Validity/ Expiry Date: The full period of your study stay in Germany has to be covered by your health insurance. For example: If you want to study in Germany in winter term, you need proof of health insurance from October 1st till March 31, for summer term from April 1st till September 30.
- Symbol of EHIC (circle with stars, country code in the centre).
Further information and models via: ec.europa.eu/social/main.jsp;
You find further information on health insurance via web site of International Office.