Für Studienanfänger*innen

Health Insurance

Students wishing to study in Germany must have a current health insurance coverage.

You will not be allowed to matriculate without it.

Important: Since 2023, all students (including students with EHIC or from agreement countries) need an electronic notification of a German statutory health insurance for enrolment. To do this, you can contact any statutory German health insurance company and arrange for your insurance status to be reported to MLU (the ID of Martin Luther University Halle-Wittenberg is H0000861).

Since January 2014, there are new regulations for health insurance coverage that students have to prove for matriculation with the university. Health insurance contracts that students obtained in their home countries for their stay in Germany will be accepted only in exceptional cases!

Thus, we strongly recommend that you:

  • obtain only a travel health insurance for the first 4 - 6 weeks of your stay in Germany (please choose a travel health insurance that meets the requirements of the authorities - e.g. Provisit-Visum).
  • after your arrival in Germany obtain a statutory health insurance (in German: gesetzliche Krankenversicherung).

The rate students have to pay for statutory health insurance is more or less the same with every state health insurance company (about 120.00 € per month). If you need proof of health insurance for your visa application, please contact us.


Students coming from EU countries who have a European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) only need a status report from a statutory German health insurance company for enrolment, to which they must submit a photo copy of their card and of the health insurance contract.

If you come from one of the Agreement States Bosnia-Herzegovina, Macedonia, Montenegro, Serbia (excluding Kosovo), Turkey, or Tunisia, you will need a valid proof of insurance from the health insurance company in your home country. Please make sure to obtain this document prior to your departure. For more information on the regulations in the Agreement States, please consult the document "Health insurance for international students" (on the website of the International Office).

For students who are 30 years or older, there are special regulations.


How to prove EHIC

You can prove that you have got statutory health insurance in your home country or that you have European health insurance coverage submitting:

  • A photocopy of your EHIC (front and back side)
  • A confirmation from your health insurance company  


A confirmation or proof of health insurance should contain the following information:

  • Your full name
  • Your date of birth
  • Your Identification number
  • Period of Validity/ Expiry Date: The full period of your study stay in Germany has to be covered by your health insurance. For example: If you want to study in Germany in winter term, you need proof of health insurance from October 1st till March 31, for summer term from April 1st till September 30.
  • Symbol of EHIC (circle with stars, country code in the centre).

Further information and models via: ec.europa.eu/social/main.jsp;

Further Informationen

You find further information on health insurance via web site of International Office.

Contact Information


Gritt Eisenkopf
Coordinator International Students Section

Phone: +49 345 55 21 535
Telefax: +49 345 55 27 427

Homepage International Office


Martin-Luther-Universität Halle-Wittenberg
International Office
Universitätsring 19/20
06108 Halle (Saale)

Service und Beratung

Studieren in Halle


Warum studieren?

(Studenten)Leben in Halle